Chinese characters appears as question marks
Adding Chinese characters into a Confluence page and saving shows the characters as question marks.
- Usually in Microsoft SQLServer
Characters also appear as question marks in the database
If you have a page with the title: 'chinesecharacters 象形字', check what are the characters saved as in the database by using the following query:
SELECT * FROM CONTENT WHERE TITLE LIKE 'chinesecharacters%'
If this is not the case, this KB will not be applicable for you.
This behaviour happens on Microsoft SQLServer when you have a incorrect data type as the
jdts driver has problems with multi-byte characters.
Please backup your database before you do the following.
- Shutdown Confluence.
- In SQLServer Studio go to Tools > Options> Designer > Table and Database Designers > Uncheck the box Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation.
- Expand Body Content table.
- Expand Columns.
- Right click on BODY column
- Change the BODY column from text to ntext.
- Start Confluence.