Organizing work with components
Managing a project's components
The easiest way to manage a project's components is through the Components page.
- Choose Administration () > Projects, and click the name of the project.
- Choose Components in the sidebar. The Components page is displayed, showing a list of components and each component's details. From here, you can manage the project's components as described below.
Adding a new component
- The Add Component form is located at the top of the 'Components' screen.
- Enter the Name for the component. Optionally, enter a Description and select a Component Lead and Default Assignee (see options below).
- Click Add.
Selecting a default assignee
You can optionally set a default assignee for a component. This will override the project's default assignee for issues in that component. If an issue has multiple components, and the default assignees of components clash, the assignee will be set to the default assignee of the component that is first alphabetically.
Default assignee option
Issues matching this component will have the assignee set to the same default assignee as the parent project.
The assignee will be set to the project leader.
If the project leader is not permitted to be assigned to issues in the permission scheme, this option will be disabled and will say "Project Lead is not allowed to be assigned issues".
The assignee will be set to the component leader.
If the component leader is not permitted to be assigned to issues in the permission scheme, this option will be disabled and will say "Component Lead is not allowed to be assigned issues". The Component Lead option will also not be available if the component does not have a lead assigned to the component. Instead, under this option, it will say "Component does not have a lead".
The assignee of the issue will not be set on the creation of this issue.
This option will only be available if "Allow unassigned issues" is enabled in the general configuration.
Editing a component's details
- On the 'Components' screen, open the menu in the Actions column for the component you want to edit, and select Edit.
- Edit the component's Name, Description, Lead, and Default Assignee in the Edit component dialog.
- Click the Save button to save your changes.
Searching for a component
If you need to find a component in a long list, it's easiest to search for it. Start typing text into the search box that you know the component contains, and your list will automatically be filtered for you.
Deleting a component
- On the 'Components' screen, open the menu in the Actions column for the component you want to delete, and select Delete.
- You will be prompted to associate any issues assigned to this component with another component if you wish.
- Click the Delete button to delete the component.
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article