Add new status and steps to Jira server workflows
Platform notice: Server and Data Center only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
Add a new status to workflow and how to edit steps name for workflow.
In an advertising firm, the whole project flow will be involving repetitively revising and reviewing on the proposed idea before the project planning get finalized. Thus we will need to define the status "Reviewing" in this case to add it as a part of the whole project flow.
Note: it is important to note that the solution can only be implemented by a Jira user who was granted the Jira Administrator global permission. An administrator of a specific Jira project will not be able to implement this solution without being granted the Jira Administrator permission.
Define A New Status
- Log in as a user with Jira Administrators permission.
- Go to Statuses page by choosing Cog Icon Find Statuses under Issue Attributes category at the left. > Issues >
- Click at Add Status then specify the name, description and the category for the status you want to add.
Add the new Status to Workflow
- Go to Workflows page by choosing Cog Icon > Issues > Find Workflows under Workflows category at the left.
- Click at the Edit link at the workflow that you would like to add the status in.
- Click at Add Status the pre defined Statuses will be listed out. Select Revising and Add.
- Click at any node of the Reviewing status and drag it to a node on the Revising Status to create transition. The Add Transition Screen will prompt out as showed below :
- After you are done with editing on your workflow, remember to publish draft or activate your workflow.
Adding a Steps in Text Mode
- In the configuration above we are editing workflow in Diagram Mode where we can only add Statuses and by default the Steps name will be the same as the status added.
- Text mode is a more advance way to edit workflow where you can work directly with steps.
- Switch the workflow editing mode from Diagram to Text. You will find the Add New Step form appears below.
- Then you can specify a different Step Name for the Status that you would like to add using text mode editing.
Editing / Delete Steps in Text Mode
- Click at the Edit link at the steps that you want to edit to edit the Step Name and Status that you have just configured.
- The Delete Step link only appear when there's no incoming transition linked to the step or if it only has Global Transitions. Click at the Delete Step link to delete the step added.
Do more with Jira
Discover even more ways to configure workflows with top workflow apps on the Atlassian Marketplace.
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article