Changes to custom field descriptions are not visible on the Create Issue screen in Jira Server
This article only applies to the Atlassian server platform. Learn more about the differences between cloud and server.
Custom field description not updated after changing the description in custom field and still showing previous description.
- Editing description of a custom field in the custom fields settings.
- After changes were made, previous description is still shown.
Editing New Description
Description Still Showing Previous Description
- Tested in JIRA Software 7.1.7.
- Created a custom field with a description and tested in an issue screen.
- Edited the custom field description field in Custom Fields page.
- Issue Screen still showing previous description.
- Checked that both description in Custom Field and Field configuration is different after the new description update.
- Edited the custom field located in the affected configuration in Field Configuration page.
- Issue screen now showing updated description.
The Custom Field Description in the Field Configuration is overwriting the Custom Field Description from the Custom Fields configuration page.
Below is a feature request raised to make this more intuitive within JIRA. You can watch or vote on the request to be taken up for improvement.
Below are the steps to remove or update the previous description.
Go to Field Configuration and locate the configuration that is used by the affected issue type.
In this configuration, click configure and locate the affected custom field.
Once you have located the custom field, you should notice that it is still having the previous description.
Click Edit, and change or remove the description.
The previous description should now be removed and replaced with the new description.