How to Change URLs of External Gadgets in Jira
This article only applies to Atlassian's server products. Learn more about the differences between cloud and server.
When using external gadgets in Jira, there is no option to edit the existing gadget's URL. This may be needed if the external hosts change in address.
- Jira is connecting to Confluence (http://someconfluencesite.com) and using Confluence gadgets. These gadgets are used by many users across many different dashboards.
- Confluence is migrated to a new address:
- The Confluence gadgets in JIRA will now show the following error:
Create a database backup before changing anything!
Additionally, any database modifications should be done while Jira is stopped.
- Stop Jira
- Backup the database
Access the database and verify the gadget URLs that need updating by running the following SQL query:
SELECT * FROM portletconfiguration WHERE gadget_xml LIKE '%old_address%';
- Replace "old_address" of the external gadgets
Update the addresses by running the following query:
UPDATE portletconfiguration SET gadget_xml = REPLACE(gadget_xml,'old_address','new_address') WHERE gadget_xml LIKE '%old_address%';
- Replace "old_address" and "new_address" accordingly
- Confirm the changes by running the SELECT query from step 3
- Restart JIRA
- As an admin, choose to "Manage Gadgets" as show here:
- Remove the gadget subscription with the old address
- Create a new gadget subscription with the new address