Make custom fields required in a workflow transition in Jira server
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
The solution described in this KB article requires the Field Required Validator, which is a function that is not available in Jira out-of-the-box.
This validator is only available by installing a paid third-party add-on, including but not limited to:
Such solution falls outside of Atlassian Support scope. If you face any issue while using the validator coming from any of these add-ons, we recommend reaching out to the respective add-on support team.
A particular field should be required to perform a transition. However, Jira applications only allow a field to be set as Required in the global context. This article describes a way to make a field requires during a workflow transition.
Please keep it mind that, as mentioned in the warning panel, this solution cannot be implemented using Jira out-of-the-box, and that installing a paid 3rd party add-on is required.
- Log into Jira as a Jira Administrator
- Make sure that one of the 3rd add-on listed below (or any other add-on that provided with a "field required" validator is installed via the page ⚙ > Manage Apps > Manage Apps
- Go to the page ⚙ > Issues > Workflows, and scroll down to the workflow for which you need to add a required field to a transition
- Click on the Edit button next to the workflow
- Open the transition that you need to configure:
- in the Diagram mode, select the transition you want to edit and click Validators;
- in the Text mode click the transition name and go to the Validators tab.
- On the Validators tab, click on the Add Validator button, and from the list of Validators that shows up, select the 'Fields Required' validator, and then choose the field of your choice as the required field.
- Please note that, depending on the 3rd party add-on that you installed, the name of the validator and the way to configure it will differ:
- Select the field or fields that you want to make required for the transition.
(You'll need to click the top Add button to add them to the Required fields list)
- Click Add to complete the creation of a Validator.
- Verify the newly added Validator in the Transition screen.
Publish the workflow to apply the changes.