Sprints appearing on multiple boards in Jira server
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only - This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
This article goes through situations where a sprint may show up multiple boards including one in which it wasn't created or creating a sprint make affect a sprint on another board. Examples include:
- A sprint shows up in a board in which it wasn't created.
- Making a change to a sprint in one board affects a sprint in another board.
- A sprint shows up in a board after an issue has been moved to it from another board.
- Attempting to close sprint requires admin permissions in another project.
- Verify if the sprints are indeed two different entities by checking on their IDs.
- Use the Issue Navigator to search for issues in each sprint. If any of the sprints contain issues from more boards, it will be displayed in all of them.
Sprints aren't dependent on a specific board or project. It's therefore possible for a sprint to be displayed in more than one board. It is still one entity though, and changes made to it in one board will be reflected in the other too. It can happen that the same sprint is used in two boards erroneously, e.g. if the sprint naming convention is the same for all boards, and the incorrect sprint with the same name was linked to an issue. Furthermore, if an issue was modified or moved and as a result, is displayed in a new board, the sprints that it was originally assigned to will be shown in that new board too. In such cases, it would be unexpected that the same sprint is displayed in two boards, even though it is technically correct.
A sprint will be displayed in a board under one of the two conditions:
- it was created in that board (this can be checked in the database, in the RAPID_VIEW_ID column in the "AO_60DB71_SPRINT" table);
- issues included in the board are associated with the sprint
- Identify the sprints that are incorrectly included in a board.
- If one sprint is used where there should be two, create a new sprint in the board that is missing one.
- Move issues to relevant sprints by editing their Sprint field value. Do the same to remove them from sprints that should only be displayed in those issues' boards.
It is recommended that sprint names indicate the project or board name, in order to avoid confusion.