Use the Average Time In Status gadget in Jira server
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only - This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
This guide is to give a proper installation method and setup, as well as some guidance on how to understand on using this gadget
Installation & Setup
- Download JIRA Charting Plugin from Atlassian Marketplace or directly using your UPM - Installing Marketplace apps.
- Create a new custom field, search for type time in status, then, name it "Time in status" (Please ensure that there is only one defined) .
- Add this field to every screen.
- Perform a full (background will not work) re-index on JIRA.
- Select the statuses that you want to track within the gadget.
- For testing, go to any open issue. Resolve and close it.
- This gadget will only show the average time spent on the selected statuses for issues that are resolved with a resolution set on the same day. For example, there are 10 issues resolved on March 16, the total time spent on each selected status will be divided by 10 issues, despite when these issues are created.
(Optional) Install JIRA Suite Utilities Plugin, so that you can monitor each issue time in a status.
Note that this is a third-party plugin and is out of scope for Atlassian support.
Below are some example calculation. Go to each of these issues and resolve them.
- Check for how long they remained on each status from the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin transition tab above.
Issue 'Needs Attention' Status 'Investigation' Status XXXX-Y1 12d 9h 33m 4s XXXX-Y2 115d 7h 12m 2s XXXX-Y3 1m 25s 168d 14h 34m XXXX-Y4 168d 14h 48m 3s
That means those for issues spend on average (rough calculation):
Status Sum of hours in status Avg Needs Attention (12*24\+9\+0.55)\+(115*24\+7h\+0.2)\+(168*24\+14\+0.8)= ~7112 hours 7112/4 = 1778h Investigation ~4047 hours 4047/4= ~1,011.75h
The average time spent in each status for all resolved issues on the same day will show up in the graph: