Install a Bitbucket Data Center trial
Want to quickly get up and running with Bitbucket Data Center? This page will guide you through a few simple steps to install and set up a trial instance of Bitbucket Data Center.
A trial license gives you access to a full instance of Bitbucket Data Center for 30 days. At the end of the trial period your Bitbucket Data Center will become read-only and you'll have the option to buy a full license to continue using it, so you won't lose any of your projects or data.
On this page
Before you begin
Our installers come with all the bits and pieces you need to run the application, but there's a few things you'll need to get up and running:
For the list of supported platforms, see Supported platforms.
A computer with a supported operating system—you'll be running the Bitbucket installer so you'll need admin rights.Supported operating systems...
You can install Bitbucket on a Linux operating system. See our Supported platforms page for information on the database, Java, and operating systems you'll be able to use. These requirements are the same for Server and Data Center deployments.
- A valid email address—you'll need this to generate your 30-day trial license and create an account.
Ready to get going? Let's start with grabbing the installer.
1. Download the installer
Head to www.atlassian.com/software/bitbucket/download and download the installer for your operating system.
2. Install Bitbucket
The installer allows you to choose the installation and home directories. For this guide we recommend using the default options.
Change to the directory where you downloaded Bitbucket then execute this command to make it executable:
$ chmod a+x atlassian-Bitbucket-X.X.X-x64.bin
X.X.Xis is the Bitbucket version you downloaded.
Run the installer - we recommend using
sudoto run the installer as this will create a dedicated account to run Bitbucket and allow you to run Bitbucket as a service.
$ sudo ./atlassian-Bitbucket-X.X.X-x64.bin
- When prompted, choose to start and launch Bitbucket in a browser.
- Once installation is complete head to
http://localhost:7990in your browser to begin the setup process.
3. Set up Bitbucket
The Setup Wizard runs automatically when you visit Bitbucket in your browser the first time it's started.
Add your license key
Follow the prompts and head to my.atlassian.com where you can generate a trial Data Center license.
Create your administrator account
- Enter details for the administrator account.
Select either Go to Bitbucket to go straight to the Bitbucket interface or Integrate with Jira to create your connection with an existing Jira application.Tell me more...
You can also select to use a Jira application as your user database during this step. See the page Configuring Jira integration in the Setup Wizard for details. You can also do this later.
Start using Bitbucket
When setting up Bitbucket in a production environment, we recommend that you configure these aspects next:
- Connect Bitbucket to a user directory - manage users/groups stored in an external directory.
- Run Bitbucket as a dedicated user - run Bitbucket from a user account with restricted privileges.
- Secure the Bitbucket home directory - secure the home directory against unauthorized access.
- Proxy and secure Bitbucket - run Bitbucket behind a reverse proxy and enable HTTPS access.
- Establish a data recovery plan - backup the home directory and database of your instance.
Read more about setting up Bitbucket for an enterprise here: Using Bitbucket in the enterprise.
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article