Setting Up Public Access
You can enable anonymous access (also known as public access) to your Confluence site by granting the 'Use Confluence' permission to 'anonymous' users. An 'anonymous' user is someone who has not logged in to the Confluence site. The 'Use Confluence' permission is also called 'can use'.
This user category gives you an easy way to administer users who have not logged into the site. Permissions assigned to this category apply to all anonymous users of the site.
Enabling anonymous access to the site
If you want to make your site visible to everyone, including people who have not logged in, you must enable anonymous access at site level.
To enable anonymous access to your site:
- Choose the cog icon , then choose General Configuration under Confluence Administration
- Choose Global Permissions in the left-hand panel.
- Choose Edit Permissions.
- In the 'Anonymous Access' section, select the can use check box to enable anonymous access to the content on your site.
- If you want to allow anonymous users to see user profiles, select the check box in the View User Profiles section.
Note: You must grant the 'can use' permission as well, if you want to grant the 'View User Profiles' permission.
- Choose Save All.
Disabling anonymous access to the site
To disable anonymous access to your site, deselect the can use check box, then choose Save All. People will not be able to see the content on the site until they have logged in.
Granting public access to a space
To enable public access to a Confluence space, you must grant the following permissions to anonymous users:
- The site-wide 'can use' permission, as described above.
- The relevant space permissions. If you want a space to be publicly accessible, the anonymous user must have at least the 'View Space' permission. To set space permissions, choose Browse > Space Admin > Permissions.
- We severely warn against giving anonymous users any administrative privileges, either within a space, or especially over the Confluence site. Giving administrative privileges to untrusted users may lead to a serious security compromise of your site.
- You can allow people to sign up for usernames themselves, and choose other options for user signup and invitations. See Add and Invite Users.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!