Below are instructions on upgrading an existing Crowd installation to the latest version of Crowd. There are two upgrade procedures to choose from:
- Method 1: Automatic database upgrade. Install the new version of Crowd and simply point it at your existing home directory. The upgrade procedure automatically updates your Crowd database.
- Method 2: Data transfer via XML backup. Back up your Crowd database to XML before starting the upgrade, install the new version of Crowd and then import the data into your new Crowd installation.
Recommended Upgrade Procedure
Upgrading to Crowd 5.2 or later
If you're upgrading from a version earlier than Crowd 5.2.0, choose the upgrade method based on your database server:
|PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, or Microsoft SQL Server||You can use both upgrade methods: automatic database upgrade and data transfer via XML backup.|
The recommended method is data transfer via XML backup.
If you'd like to keep the audit log, which is not transferred in this method, you can use the automatic upgrade, but you'll need to complete an additional step to prepare the HSQL database.
Upgrading from Crowd 2.0 or later
Upgrading from Crowd 1.6 or earlier
If you are upgrading from a version of Crowd prior to 2.0, please make your choice based on your database server, the version of Crowd you are upgrading from and the version you are upgrading to.
- If you are using PostgreSQL, MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server and:
- If you are using any other database server – use method 2, data transfer via XML backup
These are some options you may like to consider:
- If you prefer method 2, data transfer via XML backup, you can choose that option for any database server and no matter which version of Crowd you are upgrading from or to.
- If you are upgrading from Crowd 1.2 or earlier, are using PostgreSQL, MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server, and cannot perform an XML backup:
- If for some reason you must upgrade to Crowd 2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2 or 2.0.3 (and cannot upgrade to Crowd 2.0.4), follow method 2, data transfer via XML backup.