Migrate from Confluence Cloud to Server
This page is for people who are currently using Confluence Cloud, and wish to move to Confluence Server (a Confluence installation hosted on your own servers).
On this page:
You can migrate from your Confluence Cloud to Confluence Server 6.0 or later only. You can't import Cloud data (whole site or individual space exports) into any earlier versions of Confluence. We recommend installing the latest version.
Confluence Cloud is typically ahead of Confluence Server, which means that some features may not be available after you've moved to Confluence Server.
To migrate from Confluence Cloud to Confluence Server:
- Export the data from your Confluence Cloud site, using the Confluence backup manager.
- For detailed instructions, see Exporting wiki data.
- You now have an XML export of your Confluence data.
- Download the latest Confluence Server release.
You will only be able to import your Cloud backup into Confluence 6.0 or later. We recommend always installing the latest release.
- Follow the Confluence Installation Guide for your platform to install Confluence.
- Import the data from your backup file (XML export) into your new Confluence installation - see Restoring a Site.
- Log in to your new Confluence site, using the following credentials:
- Change the password immediately after logging in. This will be your system administrator account.
Support, limitations, and recommendations
Please note the following about your new Confluence Server site.
After migrating your data you will need to install any compatible add-ons, such as Questions and Team Calendars.
Some third party add-ons are only available for Cloud, and will no longer be available after you migrate. You can check whether your essential add-ons are available for Confluence Server, Cloud or both on Atlassian Marketplace.
If you are uncertain about which database to choose for your new Confluence installation, we recommend PostgreSQL - see Database Setup for PostgreSQL. The Confluence Cloud site runs on PostgreSQL, so there should be no compatibility issues.
You will need a new license to migrate to Confluence Server. Your existing Cloud license cannot be used. You can get a new license at https://my.atlassian.com. You may also need new licenses for any paid add-ons.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!