How to get project id from the Jira User Interface
Platform Notice: Server, Data Center, and Cloud By Request - This article was written for the Atlassian server and data center platforms but may also be useful for Atlassian Cloud customers. If completing instructions in this article would help you, please contact Atlassian Support and mention it.
The user needs to get the project ID from the browser (thus avoiding querying the database) in order to search via JQL query.
Retrieving the project id from the database is time-consuming. There are two methods which can be used to view the Project IDs from the web browser.
- From the Project Settings page (requires administrator privileges)
- Using the REST API (does not require administrator privileges)
- Go to Project > View all Projects
- Click on the Project Name for the project which you want to view the project id of
- Click on Project Settings in the lower left corner.
- You must be a project administrator for the project or a Jira administrator in order to view the Project Settings page.
- Hover your mouse cursor over the Details button and you can view the project id in the navigation bar at the bottom of browser as shown below:
For this example the project id is 10200
You can obtain the project ID via the REST API by accessing the following URL:
This will provide all of the metadata for the project(s), including the project ID value.
If you do not provide the
project_key then it will return all projects.
It can be helpful to paste the JSON output into a JSON beautifier to improve readability.