How to prevent customers who are added to a Jira Service Management project/portal from receiving an invitation email
Platform Notice: Server and Data Center Only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the server and data center platforms.
In Jira Service Management (JSM) projects, customer accounts can be created in various ways, including the 2 methods below:
- Method 1:
- A customer can be created by a JSM agent by going to the Customers page (accessed from the project's left bar menu)
- In this case, an invitation email with the subject "Welcome to XXXXXX" is automatically sent to the customer's email address:
- Method 2:
- When a customer raises a request by email for the first time (without already having an account), the following events take place:
- An account is created for the customer in the backend.
- A notification is sent to the customer asking them to verify their email address and reset their password, so they can access the customer portal.
This knowledge base article explains how to prevent customers from receiving an invitation emails when their account is created using either of the 2 methods mentioned above.
Jira Service Management (JSM) 3.10.0 and any higher version, Server/Data Center only.
Since the release of JSM 3.10.0, it has become possible to disable the customer account welcome/invitation email. Here are the steps to disable it:
- Log into the Jira application as an administrator of the JSM project for which you wish to disable the welcome email
- Go to the page Project Settings > Customer Notifications
- Enable the setting Do not send account verification emails. Once it's done, you should see a green
By enabling this setting, welcome/invitation emails will no longer be sent to customer accounts which were created:
- either manually from the JSM project (via the Customer page accessed from the left bar menu)
- or automatically when a customer raised a request by email for the very first time