How to restrict customers access to specific projects only in Jira Service Management
If you have more than one Service Management project, most likely you would like to configure it in a way that some users (or customers with restricted portal access) are only able to browse and create issues in one Service Management project. For example, if you have ProjectA and ProjectB, you may want to have userA only able to browse and create service requests in ProjectA, userB only able to browse and create issues in ProjectB and so on...
Removing "The Service Management Customer - Portal Access" from the project permission scheme is not advisable. The way to allow users (or customers with restricted portal access) to only see the Service Management project(s) they are assigned to, is the following:
- Create a Service Management Project (e.g. ProjectA)
- Create a user (e.g. UserA)
- Give UserA the 'Service Management Customers' Project Role for ProjectA (or any other Project Role, depending on your needs)
- Go to Project Settings (lower left corner of the project settings page). In Customer Permissions select Customers added by agents or admins.
- Now select 'Customers' in your project menu, and see that only the users that had a Project Role assigned in step #2 are in the list.
Repeat above steps for each Service Management project and provide your customers with a single URL to find a list of all the customer portals they can access and the requests they created in each one: https://<instance_name>.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals
EXTENSION TO STEPS 2 AND 3:
If you have a lot of restricted users and you don't want to add them one by one then you can uncheck the "Restricted Portal Access" checkbox for those users. This way the users will not be using any licence since they don't have any application access and you will be able to add them to groups. On the other hand you have to be really careful when doing this because if, by mistake, you give application access to one of these groups then you will be using a lot of licences.
For further details on this please see below documentation:
Last modified on Nov 7, 2022
Was this helpful?Yes Provide feedback about this article
Powered by Confluence and Scroll Viewport.