Note that this page only applies if you are using the Classic Boards
(which are no longer being actively developed; read more
To plan versions, epics and sprints on the new boards, please see Using Plan Mode
The Classic Planning Board enables you to prioritise and schedule issues. Issues are represented as cards, colour-coded according to issue type (e.g. Story, Bug, Task, Improvement, etc). Version, component and assignee information is summarised at the right of the Classic Planning Board, allowing you to quickly gauge the backlog for each. Project administrators can add new versions on the Planning Board, to create product, release and sprint backlogs.
You can also manage cards (issues) via the Classic Planning Board. Issues can be easily scheduled and prioritised by dragging and dropping them. You can also perform common JIRA tasks, such as adding, updating and deleting issues (provided you have the appropriate JIRA permissions).
To view the planning board for your project,
- Login to JIRA.
Select Agile > Classic in the top navigation bar. Then select Classic Planning Board from the drop-down below the project name.
- Select your project from the project dropdown in the top left of the planning board (above the Planning Board dropdown), if it is not already selected. The Planning Board will refresh with information for your project.
Screenshot: GreenHopper Classic Planning Board (click to view larger image)
The screenshot above shows an example Planning Board. To learn more about each part of the Planning Board, please see the sections below and the documentation linked from those sections.
Planning Board — Navigation Bar
- Board dropdown — Select another board to view (Task Board, Chart Board or Released Board).
- Project dropdown — Select the project whose issues you wish to view.
- Context dropdown — Select the context by which to filter issues ('Default', 'On the fly', or other contexts you have created). You can also select Manage to edit your existing contexts, or New to create a new context. Read more about contexts in Using Contexts to Filter and Highlight Issues.
- Refresh icon — Click the icon to reload the contents of the Planning Board.
- Viewing Mode dropdown — Select the viewing modefor your Planning Board:
- Viewing Mode sub-dropdown — Select the sub-category of the viewing mode. Read more about viewing modes in Using Classic Planning Board Modes.
- New Card — Click the New link to create a new card (i.e. issue). For details see Creating an Issue in GreenHopper Classic.
- Views dropdown — Select from the following:
- Tools dropdown — Select from the following:
- Pagination — Click a page-number to go to the desired page. To configure the number of issues shown per page, see Managing your User Preferences for the Planning Board tab.
- Quick Filters— Click the following filters to refine the collection of displayed cards:
- Only My Issues — Only display issues which are assigned to you.
- Only Pending Issues — Exclude any issues that are part of a child version or component. (This filter is available on the Planning Board only)
- Hide Done Issues — Only display issues which have not yet been resolved.
- Hide Sub-tasks — Only display issues which are not sub-tasks of other issues.
Quick Filters only affect the cards that appear on the current board. Unlike context filters, these filters do not affect the values presented in the Statistics Column.
- Search — See Searching for Issues on a Classic Board.
Planning Board — Issues
- Released — The icon indicates that this issue was resolved in a sub version that has been released, but it is still shown in the parent version as it is assigned to that version as well.
- Flagged — The icon indicates that this issue has been flagged for special attention.
- Issue Type and Priority — These two icons indicate the Type of this issue (e.g. Task, Bug, Improvement, etc) and its Priority (e.g. Critical, Major, Minor).
Click the icon (which will appear when you hover over the Issue Type or Priorityicons) to display a drop-down menu containing:
- Update Priority --— Click to edit the Priority field for this issue.
- Add Sub-task — Click to add a sub-task to this issue (if sub-tasks are enabled).
- Edit in JIRA — Click to open the JIRA 'Edit Issue' screen, on which all issue fields are available for editing.
- Flag as Impediment — Click to flag this issue for special attention.
- Comment — Click to quickly add a comment to this issue.
- Delete — Click to delete this issue.
- Issue Key --— Click to view the details for this issue.
- Editable Fields — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover) to edit the following fields:
- Fix Version
- Sub-tasks — Click to display a dialog box showing the issue's sub-tasks. You can drag-and-drop subtasks within this box to re-order them.
- Work Logged (if applicable) — the amount of time that has been spent on this issue. Click to log work on this issue.
Planning Board — Statistics Column
To select a box, click inside it and once selected, the box turns yellow. The content on the rest of the Board you are viewing will be updated to show the data associated with that box.
- 'Add' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode and Chart Board only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to create a new version. Read more in Adding a Version.
- 'Statistics' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode and Chart Board only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to configure statistics displayed in the boxes in this column. Read more in Configuring a Custom Statistic.
- 'Collapse' — Click the icon to show only the title of each box in the Statistics column.
- 'Expand' — Click the icon to show the full details for each box in the Statistics column.
- 'Hide' — Click the icon to hide the Statistics column and display the 'Issues' section of the Board in full screen width.
- Name ('Version', 'Assignee', 'Component', 'Project Overview' modes only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover this area of the selected box) to edit the version or component name.
- Actions menu — Click the icon (which will appear at the top right of the selected box when you hover over this area) to display a drop-down menu. This drop-down menu can contain the following items. Be aware that some of these are not available on certain Boards:
- 'Toggle visibility' — Click to show/hide the current box in the Statistics column.
- 'Issue Navigator' — Click to go to the JIRA Issue Navigator.
- 'Go to Task Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Task Board.
- 'Go to Planning Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Planning Board.
- 'Go to Chart Board' ('Version' mode only) — Click to go to the Chart Board.
- 'Non Working Days' ('Version' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to edit the Non Working Days for a specific version. (Note: to edit the Non Working Days for all of the Classic boards, see Specifying your GreenHopper General Configuration.)
- 'Print Cards' (Planning Board in 'Version' mode only) — Click to print the displayed issues. For details please see Printing Issues in Card Form.
- 'Print Chart' (Chart and Released Boards only) — Click to print the currently viewed chart.
- 'Excel (Chart Data)' ('Hour Burndown Chart' on the Chart Board only) — Click to download a csv version of the chart's data.
You may need to refresh the contents of the chart board first in order to see this menu option.
- 'Release' ('Version' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to release the version. A snapshot of all of the charts associated with this version will also be captured (before any issues are swapped). You will be able to access these snapshots via your Released Board.
If the version contains unfinished issues, you will be prompted to either ignore them and proceed with the release, or move the unfinished issues to another version of your choice.
- 'Recompute' (Released Board only; 'Project Overview' mode only. Visible to administrators only.) — Click to refresh the Released Board. (Note: the Project Overview is the only chart that is stored statically; all other charts are generated dynamically.)
- 'Create Wallboard' (Planning Board only; 'Project Overview' mode only) — Click to create a Wallboard.
- A Wallboard will be created with the name '<Project name> (autogenerated)' and displayed. Your wallboard is a new page on your JIRA dashboard (see Customising the JIRA Dashboard), and will contain:
- Select 'View as Wallboard' from the 'Tools' drop-down on your JIRA dashboard, and stare in awe at your fresh new wallboard. For optimal use of screen real-estate, enter full-screen mode on your browser (F11 in Firefox 3.6 and Chrome 5; Safari requires a plugin to enable full-screen mode) and refresh. Wallboards are optimised for 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 screens, but should work in some other resolution modes.
- Progress of the version ('Version' mode only) — the green bar indicates the percentage of issues that are complete, the yellow bar indicates the percentage of issues in progress, the red bar indicates the percentage of issues that have not been started. Hover over the bar to see the exact percentages. Click on a coloured section of the bar to be taken to the JIRA Issue Navigatorfor the full list of issues in that colour.
- 'Parent' ('Version' & 'Component' modes only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to choose the parent version or component for the version. All issues under the version/component will also be a subset of the parent version/component, e.g. 'Version 1' could be set as the parent version of 'Version 1 milestone 1'. Read more in Setting Up a Component Hierarchy and Setting Up a Version Hierarchy.
- 'Start date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the start date for the version.
- 'End date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the end date for the version.
Tip: The start date and end date are used to compute the various Classic charts.
- 'Release date' ('Version' mode only) — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to edit the JIRA release date for the version.
- Issue Type statistics — A summary of the number of issues of each type.
- Statistics based on the Task Board mapping — A summary of the number of issues in each status (based on the Mappings that your administrator has specified in the Task Board Settings).
- Time-tracking statistics:
- 'Time Remaining' — Click the icon (which will appear when you hover, if you are an administrator) to specify maximum and minimum limits for the amount of time remaining.
- Custom statistics — Displayed if any custom statistics have been created by the project administrator. (The red numbers, if shown, indicate that a statistic's constraint has been exceeded.) If custom statistics exist, you can click the icon to add them as markers on your Planning Board (see Using Statistical Markers to Group Issues).
Tip: Boxes that relate to child versions or components are attached below their parent version or component and are represented with a right-indented arrow, as shown by the 'Hardening Sprint' example in the screenshot above.
The content of the Statistics Column will differ depending on the viewing mode selected. For example, when 'Version' mode is selected (as shown in the image above), the Parent, Start Date, End Date and Release Date fields will be shown, and the Add button will appear at the top of the column. You can read more about about viewing modes in Using Classic Planning Board Modes.