2.3.1 Better Upstream Integration
Next to downstream integration of JIRA into source-code control systems, JIRA also supports an integration with more abstract systems such as team rooms like SharePoint, team collaboration tools like Confluence, design tools like Balsamiq or Gliffy, 3rd party web pages and even CRM systems such as Salesforce.com.
That linkage of applications enables traceability throughout all relevant systems in the business process. This is especially helpful for the inclusion of non-technical stakeholders who are often not part in traditional Application Lifecycle Management process (ALM) systems.
The Issue Collector for example integrates with your website or web application. The JIRA Mobile Connector for iPhone or Android also enable application developers to integrate their feedback mechanism with JIRA. As a results, you are now able to integrate the customer and end user into the ALM process directly.
Showcase Integration with: Any external website, SharePoint, Confluence, CustomWare Add-ons for SharePoint and SalesForce.com
Steps to demonstrate
To demonstrate a JIRA integration with other systems, you need to install compatible applications or set up application links to existing ones.
One easy integration is that of Confluence and JIRA.
- Set up an application link between a Confluence and a JIRA instance as outlined in Linking to Another Application.
- Add a page in confluence for your demonstration project called 'Weekly support check'
- After writing some decorative text, create header 'h1. Opened last week' (without the single quotes)
- In confluence, click 'Insert' and then select JIRA Issues
- Select the search tab on the left hand side and enter the JQL string 'project = JIRA and createdDate > -1w' (without single quotes and JIRA should be replaced with the name of the project you created for the demonstration).
- Write the second header 'h1. Closed last week' (without the single quotes) and add another JIRA issues macro with JQL 'project = JIRA and resolutiondate > -1w order by priority desc' (without single quotes and JIRA should be replaced with the name of the project you created for the demonstration). This will give you an overview of all tickets that were closed in the last week.
- Write the third header 'h1. Overdue issues', add another JIRA issues macro for JQL: 'project = JIRA and duedate > -1w' (without single quotes and JIRA should be replaced with the name of the project you created for the demonstration). Make sure to create some issues that are overdue so that the list is not empty.
You can also set up other application links from JIRA to another system, e.g. webpage, salesforce.com, etc.
Set up links of tickets to confluence pages, salesforce.com systems but also downstream repositories, etc.
Demonstration on JIRA.Atlassian.com
Although it is not possible to change application links on JIRA.atlassian.com, the activity stream still shows how updates from other applications feed into JIRA.
- Open the dashboard
- Create a new dashboard and name it 'Cross-Systems'
- Add the activity stream gadget and select all available applications. Go through the updates. Note the various sources of updates.