OAuth error oauth_problem=signature_invalid
This Knowledge Base article was written specifically for the Atlassian Server platform. Due to the Functional differences in Atlassian Cloud, the contents of this article cannot be applied to Atlassian Cloud applications.
When creating an application link, or using functionality that uses an application link, the applications aren't able to authenticate to each other.
The following appears in the application log:
- Two applications are connected together using Application Links
- The authentication method used is OAuth
The Application URL of the link does not match the URL that the remote application is reporting. This can be caused by:
- The Base URL on the remote application is set to something other than the Application URL defined on the link
- A reverse proxy or port forwarding is configured, and the "Host" header is reporting the wrong host name or port
- If you are using NGINX as the reverse proxy and using the
- The useBodyEncodingForURI tomcat parameter in the
<confluence-install>/conf/server.xmlis set to true
In this scenario, the affected applications will usually display other problems as well.
- Ensure the Base URL is correct for each application.
The Application URL should match the Base URL of the other application unless you're bypassing a reverse proxy.
If the Application URL does not match the Base URL (and you're not bypassing a reverse proxy) then delete and recreate the Application Link.
If using a reverse proxy or port forwarding, ensure the application is correctly configured for use with a reverse proxy.
NGINX Reverse Proxy with
- Do not use the
proxy_cachedirective in the Nginx configuration
Look for the following part in <confluence-install>/conf/server.xml.
<Connector port="8090" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443" maxThreads="48" minSpareThreads="10" enableLookups="false" acceptCount="10" debug="0" URIEncoding="UTF-8" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" useBodyEncodingForURI="true"/>
If the useBodyEncodingForURI is in the server.xml, remove the parameter or set it to false
<Connector port="8090" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443" maxThreads="48" minSpareThreads="10" enableLookups="false" acceptCount="10" debug="0" URIEncoding="UTF-8" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" useBodyEncodingForURI="false"/>