List ciphers used by JVM
These are instructions to list all the ciphers that the JVM has available to it when using secure connections.
List the ciphers
- Download the Ciphers.java program to a temporary location (e.g.
From the command line navigate to this location and run:
The command above will produce a list of ciphers that the JVM knows about.
To add other ciphers
You may need to have more ciphers in your JVM. For that, you need to download and install the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files for your JDK.
- Access http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html, search for JCE and download it.
- Make sure you are downloading the JCE for your JDK version.
- Unpack the download in a temporary location (e.g.
- Locate the
lib/securitydirectory inside your
JAVA_HOME. Depending on whether you're running a JDK or a JRE that would be
- Backup the local_policy.jar and US_export_policy.jar jars from that directory.
- Copy the local_policy.jar and US_export_policy.jar jars from the JCE policy files into your lib/security directory.
- Run java Ciphers again. More ciphers from you compatible ciphers list should be found now. If so, proceed with the next steps.
- Make sure the ciphers attribute is present in your
server.xml(as in Git clone fails with SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO).
- Restart Stash.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!