High Availability Guide for JIRA
What is the difference between high availability and disaster recovery?
The terms "high availability", "disaster recovery" and "failover" can often be confused. For the purposes of this document,
- "High availability" — a strategy to provide a specific level of availability, in JIRA's case, access to the application and an acceptable response time. Automated correction and failover (within the same location) are usually part of high availability planning.
- "Disaster recovery" — a strategy to resume operations in an alternate data center, if the main data center becomes unavailable (i.e. a disaster). Failover (to another location) is a fundamental part of disaster recovery. See Disaster Recovery Guide for JIRA.
- "Failover" — this is when one machine takes over from another machine, when the aforementioned machines fails. This could be within the same data center or from one data center to another. Failover is usually part of both high availability and disaster recovery planning.
JIRA Data Center achieves high availability via active clustering and automatic failover within your data center.
JIRA Data Center uses active clustering — this means that every node in the cluster is essentially an active JIRA instance, which is able to serve requests. If a node fails, the load balancer will automatically fail sessions over to a remaining active node in the pool of nodes. Most users will not notice any downtime, as they will be automatically directed from the failed node to an active node on their next request.
To learn more, see Failover for JIRA Data Center.
JIRA Data Center is the only Atlassian-supported high availability solution for JIRA. However, if you don't choose JIRA Data Center, our Experts may be able to help implementing a high availability solution for your environment, contact our Experts team.
Our community and staff are active on Atlassian Answers. Feel free to contribute your best practices, questions and comments. Here are some of the answers relevant to high availability:
- Atlassian high availability: cold failover?
- Licensing cold failover servers
- Can a shared nas be used as the attachments path
- Load balancing JIRA