Creating and configuring a deployment project
Creating a deployment project from a plan is easy with Bamboo.
A deployment is a container that holds:
- Environments that represent the physical environments, such as QA, Staging and Production
- Releases which represent the actual software artifacts being deployed - these include the issues and commits which make up the release.
To create a new deployment project you must:
- Provide a name and a description that represents your project
- Associate the project with a build plan. The build plan will produce the artifacts you will snapshot into a release and deploy to the environment. Associating the deployment project with a build plan tells the deployment project which set of artifacts to use for the deployment.
If you are using plan branches, you will also need to associate the deployment with the plan branch. The plan branch represent a build for a branch within the version control system that inherits the configuration defined by the parent plan. Any new branch created is automatically built and tested using the same build configuration as the parent. When the plan branch build succeeds, it can be merged back into master.
Learn more about Deployments from branches.
Creating a new deployment project
To create a new deployment project:
- Click Create > Create deployment project in the drop down menu from the header bar. The 'Setup deployment project' screen will appear:
If your build plan has a plan branch, Bamboo will detect it and offer an additional field for completion:
Complete the 'Setup deployment project' screen using the following fields:
Field Description Optional? Name The name of your deployment project Description A brief description of your deployment project Source Build Plan The name of the plan you wish to associate with the deployment project Hint: This field identifies the source of your deployment artifacts Default plan branch The plan branch that you wish to deploy. Bamboo will auto detect available plan branches for you. Choose a plan from the drop down menu.
- Click Create deployment project. The deployment project configuration screen will display:
Your deployment project has been created with the build plan relation, name and description you specified. It is now ready for configuration.
Editing the details of an existing deployment project
Bamboo allows you to edit the details of an existing deployment project.
To edit the details of an existing deployment project:
- From the deployment project configuration screen, click the Edit details button. The Update deployment project screen will display:
Complete the 'Update deployment project' screen using the following fields:
Field Description Optional? Related Build Plan The name of the plan you wish to associate with the deployment project Hint: This field identifies the source of your deployment artifacts Name The name of your deployment project Description A brief description of your deployment project Default plan branch The plan branch that you wish to deploy. This option will only display if your plan has a valid branch, as described above
- Click on Save deployment project to save your changes.
Configuring release naming
Bamboo's release naming configuration allows you to control:
- What Bamboo will call the next release the deployment project generates
- Automatic incrementing of the release number each time a new release is created
- Automatic incrementing of the release number as specified by a global variable each time a new release is created.
See Naming versions for deployment releasese for more information.
Configuring deployment project permissions
Bamboo gives you control over who has permission to View and Edit aspects of your deployment project.
To configure your permission strategy:
- Click the Permissions button on the 'Deployment project configuration' screen to display the 'Edit permissions' screen:
Click the Add User or Add Group button to search for and add, users or groups
- Check the relevant 'View' and 'Edit' permission boxes to assign your desired permission scheme
- Click Save to save your permission scheme.
Viewing a Bamboo deployment project in the YAML format
Bamboo instance administrators can view the deployment configuration in the YAML format in Deployment project configuration > Actions: