Platform notice: Server and Data Center only. This article only applies to Atlassian products on the Server and Data Center platforms.
Support for Server* products will end after February 15th 2024. If you are running a Server product, you can visit the Atlassian Server end of support announcement to review your migration options.
*Except Fisheye and Crucible
Builds in Bamboo should be exactly the same as if they were executed via the command line. Sometimes the builds may behave differently. This article covers some tips and tricks to troubleshoot failed builds.
Bamboo Build Process
Bamboo forks a new process for each build and tries to reproduce the user's environment by passing down all the System and PATH environment variables to the build.
The new process is created using different Builder tasks.
Debugging Failing Builds
If you haven't done so already, please run your build outside of Bamboo via the command line as the user running the Bamboo process and confirm that the build is successful.
Navigate to your working directory and run the build manually:
For example, if this is a Maven build then please supply the appropriate goal:
mvn clean install
Please ensure that the following criteria have been met:
Ensure that Bamboo is running as the local user and the user executing the build via the command line owns the Bamboo process.
Bamboo Service on Windows
Bamboo will install itself as the SYSTEM user on Windows, ensure that you are running the Bamboo service as the local user
- If the failing build is being executed on a remote or elastic agent, ensure that it can be executed successfully on the agent as the Bamboo user.
- If your build has specific dependencies or requires you to set Environment Variables, ensure that the variables/dependencies are available to your build.
- If your JAVA build is failing due to memory errors, then please try increasing the memory allocated to your build.
- You may find a collection of debug/verbose properties you can use on different build tasks by following this KB: How to enable debug properties on the Build Processes in Bamboo
Check the build agent logs
You may find additional information about the reason for the failure in the Agent logs.
Run the builds with Debug mode in Bamboo
Bamboo allows you to run the whole Plan with some extra verbosity. That may be useful to diagnose things that may come before the actual build starts, such as Git checkouts, previous tasks, etc.
- Find the Plan you want to run
- Click on Run dropdown menu >> Run customized >> Select Verbose mode >> Run
Still having problems?
Contact Atlassian Support. We'll be happy to advise you. Please include as much detail as possible, where applicable:
- Logs from the affected application (if applicable)
- Screenshots of the error message (if they're not covered in logs)
- Information about the steps you've taken previously