To make any substantial modifications or additions to JIRA's source, you should read Building JIRA from Source. This implies building a WAR and deploying this to your Application Server.
Making a Single Class Patch
This guide describes how to make a source code modification to a single class file.
- Download Maven 2.1.0 from the Apache archives of the Maven website.
- Set your
M2_HOMEenvironment variables where you install Maven (and its /bin directory for the PATH).
Refer to the Building JIRA from Source documentation for details.
- Download JIRA source.
- Changed directory into your extracted JIRA source directory and then into its
Run one of the following, depending on your preferred IDE:
- Open the resulting project.
- From your IDE, build the project.
- From your IDE, open and compile a file. The compiled file will appear in the
target/classesdirectory of the maven module that you are working on. If you are working with JIRA's core classes, this is likely to be in
Deploying the Patch
To deploy a patch, drop the file in the classpath from
<jira-install>/WEB-INF/classes. For example, if you compile the class:
...it will be available from:
To deploy this class, place it in:
...then restart JIRA.