July 23, 2009
JIRA 4.0 Beta 2 is a public development release leading up to JIRA 4.0. For all production use and testing of JIRA, please use the latest official release.
Do not use in production
Beta releases should not be used in production environments as they are not officially supported.
Please also take note of the following information:
- Beta releases are not safe— Beta releases are snapshots of the ongoing JIRA development process. As such:
- While we try to keep these releases stable, they have not undergone the same degree of testing as a full release.
- Features in development releases may be incomplete, or may change or be removed before the next full release.
- No upgrade path — Because Beta releases represent work in progress, we cannot provide a supported upgrade path between Beta releases, or from any Beta to the eventual final release. Thus, any data you store in a JIRA Beta release may not be able to be migrated to a future JIRA release.
The Atlassian JIRA team is delighted to present a brand new version of one of the world's favourite issue-trackers.
Highlights of JIRA 4.0 Beta 2:
- Supported browsers: For optimal experience with JIRA 4.0 Beta 2, please use Firefox 3.x. Support for other browsers will be added prior to the launch of JIRA 4.0.
- Portlet-to-gadget upgrade task: This has not yet been implemented. Your existing portlets will be displayed in legacy mode.
Highlights of JIRA 4.0 Beta 2
The new-look JIRA dashboard now uses industry-standard 'gadgets'. So you can add external gadgets to your JIRA dashboard, as well as displaying JIRA gadgets in other places (such as iGoogle).
What's happened to your favourite JIRA portlets? Don't worry: every portlet that previously shipped with JIRA has been converted to a 'legacy gadget'. And if you are a plugin developer and have created your own portlets, see the instructions for converting your portlets to gadgets.
The following gadgets are available in Beta 2:
- 'Activity Stream' gadget (see below)
- 'Admin' gadget
- 'Create Issue' gadget
- 'Favourite Filters' gadget
- 'Filter Results' gadget
- 'Introduction' gadget
- 'Issue Completed This Iteration' gadget
- 'Login' gadget
- 'Quicklinks' gadget
- 'Voted Issues' gadget
The new 'Activity Stream' gadget displays a summary of the latest activity in JIRA projects (and/or by particular people) in which you are interested.
The 'Activity Stream' gadget also provides an RSS feed, allowing you to create very specific RSS feeds of only the information that is most relevant to you.
See the documentation for more details.
Charting Now Comes Standard
The following reports and gadgets from the Charting plugin have now been integrated into JIRA:
- "Average Age" report and gadget — Shows the average age (in days) of unresolved issues, e.g.:
- "Created vs Resolved Issues" report and gadget — Shows the number of issues created vs number of issues resolved over a given period of time.
- "Pie Chart" report and gadget — Shows the search results from a specified issue filter (or project) in a pie-chart, based on a statistic of your choice.
- "Recently Created Issues" report and gadget — Shows the rate at which issues are being created.
- "Resolution Time" report and gadget — Shows the average time taken to resolve issues.
- "Time Since Issues" report and gadget — Shows the number of issues for which your chosen date field (e.g. 'Created') was set on a given date.
Beyond the 'Back' Button
When navigating away from a page where you have modified data, you will be prompted to see if you would like to save the data or discard your changes (see JRA-14911).
Index updates are now put in a queue. So even if the update takes longer than 30 seconds, the operation remains on the queue and is not lost. (See JRA-14220.)
Plus over 250 other fixes and improvements
Click here for full list.