Confluence 5.9.1-pluginsfour019 Release Notes
We're pleased to present Confluence 5.9.1-pluginsfour019. This release is a snapshot of our work in progress, primarily focused on allowing Confluence users to see the new features in advance. Beta releases also give add-on developers an opportunity to test and fix their add-ons in advance of an official release.
Highlights of this release
A better way to restrict pages
In this release we've made it easier to restrict who can edit and view your pages in Confluence.
The new padlock iconat the top of the page gets you straight into the restrictions dialog (you can still get there using ... > Restrictions, but why click twice?).
There's three options:
- No restrictions - keep the page open to everyone (hint: use this for a quick way to remove existing restrictions).
- Edit restrictions - limit who can edit a page, but keep it open for everyone to view.
- Edit and view restrictions - set exactly who can view, and who can edit. It's is the most flexible option.
Here's how it looks:
The padlock icon at the top changes when a page is restricted, or when it's inheriting view restrictions from another page . We'll also give you a warning in the restrictions dialog when your page is affected by restrictions on other pages.
One-click create for blank pages
We love our Confluence templates, and think they're really handy, but we also know that many pages start out blank. To save you time when creating blank pages, we're taking the process from 3 steps down to 1 with our new 'quick create' option. Instead of a single create button in the header, you'll now see two options: Create (blank page) and Create from template.
Page templates and other content types are just as easy to access as they were before. Just choose the Create from templateoption in the header.
More control over page excerpts
The Children Display and Content by Label macros both have an option to show a small excerpt of the content of the page in the list. In this release we've made those excerpts much more awesome.
You can now choose between:
- Simple excerpt – This is the current excerpt, that shows a single line of text from the Excerpt macro on each page. If there's no Excerpt macro, this option will show nothing.
- Rich content – This option shows formatted text, images and even some macros. If there's an excerpt macro on the page, it'll use the contents of that macro, or if there's no Excerpt macro it'll use whatever's at the top of the page.
Give it a try – add a Children Display or Content by Label macro to your page, and turn on the rich content excerpt.
Status updates removal
In our quest to simplify your Confluence experience, we're removing the Status Updates feature in Confluence 5.9. This includes the ability to:
- update your status
- see other people's status via their profile or the User Status List macro.
If you think you might be using the User Status List macro on any pages in your site you might want to remove them. After the upgrade these macros will show as 'unknown macro'.
This search will return all pages that contain a User Status List macro (hint: copy the text below into the search field in Confluence).
We've made some pretty significant changes that'll impact plugin developers. If you're one of them, check out the preparing for Confluence 5.9 page for more information.
Follow the usual upgrade instructions to upgrade your test site to this release.
Was this helpful?
Thanks for your feedback!